Malaseb is a medicated, prescription only shampoo containing Chlorhexidine digluconate and Miconazole nitrate. It is licensed for the treatment and management of seborrhoeic dermatitis associated with Malassezia pachydermatis and Staphylococcus intermedius in dogs. In cats it is licensed an aid in the treatment of ringworm due to Microsporum canis.
This is a prescription only medication and must be used as directed by your veterinary surgeon.
Special precautions for use in animals:
For external use only.
In case of accidental contact with eyes, rinse with plenty of water.
Do not allow the animal to lick itself during shampooing and rinsing, or before it is dried. Take care to avoid the animal inhaling the product or getting it into the nose or mouth during shampooing.
Puppies and kittens should not come into contact with nursing females after treatment until the coat has dried.
Special precautions to be taken by the person administering the veterinary medicinal product to animals:
- People with known hypersensitivity to chlorhexidine, miconazole or any of the excipients should avoid contact with the veterinary medicinal product.
- This product can cause eye irritation. Avoid contact with the eyes. In case of accidental contact with eyes, rinse with plenty of water. If irritation persists consult your doctor.
- Avoid excessive handling and stroking of treated animals immediately following treatment.
- Ringworm in the cat is infectious to humans and so it is advisable to wear gloves and have arms covered during clipping and shampooing of infected cats.
- When shampooing a cat, in order to avoid prolonged contact with the shampoo, wash and dry hands gently. Do not scrub.
Exceptionally a dog with atopy or a cat with allergic skin disease may develop a pruritic and/or erythematous reaction after treatment.
In very rare circumstances, dogs and cats may develop a skin reaction (itching, redness) after treatment.
How to use:
Wet the animal thoroughly with clean water and apply Malaseb shampoo to the animal at several points and massage into the coat. Use a sufficient amount of the shampoo to raise a lather on the coat and skin. Ensure that the shampoo is applied around the lips, under the tail and between the toes. Allow the animal to stand for 10 minutes, then rinse off with clean water and leave to dry naturally in a warm, draught-free environment.
The 250 ml bottle, for example, provides approximately 8-16 treatments for a 15 kg dog, or 5-10 treatments for a 25 kg dog or 25 cat treatments, depending on coat thickness.
Link to the SPC for Malaseb shampoo
Category POM V
Out of stock