Stronghold Plus Spot on for Cats
Stronghold Plus is a spot on medication for cats. It treats/prevents fleas, ear mites, ticks and some intestinal worms (see below). It contains the active ingredients Selamectin and Sarolaner.
Available in 3 sizes depending on the weight of your cat. Each size is available in packs of 3 or 6 pipettes. 1 pipettes is to be applied to the back of the neck monthly.
This is a prescription only medication.
Available in 3 sizes:
15mg/2.5mg for cats weighing 2.5kg and less
30mg/15mg for cats weighing >2.5kg – 5kg
60mg/10mg for cats weighing >5kg – 10kg
Indications for use:
– For the treatment and prevention of flea infestations (Ctenocephalides spp.). The veterinary medicinal product has immediate and persistent flea killing activity against new infestations for 5 weeks. The product kills adult fleas before they lay eggs for 5 weeks. Through its ovicidal and larvicidal action, the veterinary medicinal product may aid in the control of existing environmental flea infestations in areas to which the animal has access.
– The product can be used as part of a treatment strategy for flea allergy dermatitis (FAD).
– Treatment of tick infestations. The veterinary medicinal product has immediate and persistent acaricidal effect for 5 weeks against Ixodes ricinus and Ixodes hexagonus, and 4 weeks against Dermacentor reticulatus and Rhipicephalus sanguineus.
– Treatment of ear mites (Otodectes cynotis).
– Treatment of biting lice infestations (Felicola subrostratus).
Ticks must attach to the host and commence feeding in order to be exposed to sarolaner.
– Treatment of adult roundworms (Toxocara cati) and adult intestinal hookworms (Ancylostoma tubaeforme).
– Prevention of heartworm disease caused by Dirofilaria immitis with monthly administration.
Cats should be at least 8 weeks old and weighing at least 1.25 kg bodyweight.
To be applied to the skin surface only. Do not administer orally or parenterally.
Do not apply when the animal’s hair coat is wet.
For ear mite treatment, do not apply directly to the ear canal.
It is important to apply the dose as indicated to prevent the animal from licking and ingesting the product. If significant ingestion occurs, transient gastrointestinal effects such as hypersalivation, emesis, soft faeces or reduced food consumption may be observed and should normally resolve without treatment.
Keep treated animals away from fires and other sources of ignition for at least 30 minutes or until the coat is dry.
If in an area with endemic heartworm please discuss with treatment and prevention with your veterinary surgeon before applying any products.
Links to the SPC product overview for Stronghold Plus:
15mg/2.5mg for cats weighing less than 2.5kg:
30mg/5mg for cats weighing >2.5kg – 5kg:
60mg/10mg for cats weighing >5kg – 10kg: